Sunday, February 1, 2015

Forgotten Art and Puppies

In the last little while, we have have celebrated our little daughter turning 4 (!), hidden out at the movie theater as a family for the first time (Paddington...t'was marvelous), and as ever, busy at the art desk...


A back-alley in downtown Vancouver.  Just across from Harbour Center...

Kids in my art class took a crack at being fabric designers.  They painted carrot designs on plain white cotton; then, we turned them into hipster carrot stuffies!

A lovely mosaic on a downtown sidewalk.  Can you spot the iconic sails, bridge, seagulls, cruise ship?

Aw...a puppy portrait I just finished for a special client.

Another view - same alley.  I envision having a photo shoot done here:  me in vintage garb, having high tea at a set table...one can dream!


Have you ever stopped to find the "forgotten art" in your town or city?  I'm glad that I finally made a point to seek it out the last time I was downtown.  I'm looking forward to discover more the next time I'm down that way.

16 comments:

  1. Omg, LOVE those hipster carrots!!!
    The little dog you painted is so cute, and the graffiti in
    your area is pretty cool. Unfortunately, any type of street
    art gets painted over in my little town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, graffiti definitely has either lovers or haters. And some is more 'artful' than others too! Thanks for your carrot love!

      Delete
  2. Awwww, the little dog portrait! The hipster carrots made me giggle, too. That's such a cool project for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They loved turning their carrots into characters. And they loved the lesson - 'if you can't find it at the store, make it yourself!'

      Delete
  3. Love the hipster carrots and the graffiti! I'm imagining that you're a very fun art teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Van. I'd like to think the kids in my classes are having at least as much fun as I do teaching them!

      Delete
  4. I love the street art, I am looking forward to seeing more discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, M - you are the street art queen. I always love seeing the art you spot in your streets!

      Delete
  5. The graffiti art is amazing! I've always wanted to give that style a try... legally on a canvas, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya the graffiti is pretty spectacular. I love it when there is a designated space for this art form. There is something about the natural light, the pavement as gallery floor...but I'm with you: legal is better ;)

      Delete
  6. These are great finds! Love the images and the carrots are the best, your kids are very lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ree. The carrots were a hit...super fun to work on!

      Delete
  7. that street art is amazing.
    cute carrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena! I've never really paid much attention to the street art in Vancouver...glad I did though!

      Delete
  8. I love, love the carrots! They're so cute!
    We were just thinking about going to the movies to watch Paddington! I heard so many great comments about it!
    Happy belated birthday to your daughter! 4 is a lovely age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniela! The carrots turned out to be a fun experiment for all concerned.

      Paddington was adorable! I know your kids are a little older but I've heard reviews from all ages and it's thumbs up across the board :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...